Home | Legal Services | Family Law | Property Division

Understanding division of matrimonial property in Alberta for married spouses

House divided into two pieces, representing the division of property division, an area of family law handled by the best divorce lawyers in the Edmonton law firm Sharek & Co, which also handles legal separation, uncontested divorce, child custody, child support, spousal support, emergency protection orders and restraining orders.When two married spouses decide to separate, the division of property is determined by the Matrimonial Property Act (MPA), which sets out three kinds of property:  Exempt Property, Increase in the value of the exempt property, Matrimonial Property.

  • Exempt property - any property owned before the marriage, received by way of gift from a third party, a property that has been inherited, an award or settlement for tort damages (i.e. if you were injured in an accident), or proceeds of a non-property insurance policy.
  • Increase in value of the exempt property - covers the increase in value of the exempt property during the marriage or property acquired with income received from exempt property.
  • Matrimonial property - any property not covered by the other two categories as well as any debt or property acquired by the spouses jointly or separately during the marriage and after separation. 

Typical areas of dispute include what assets and debts are actually held by each spouse and whether the matrimonial property was owned prior to the relationship. 

Property division in Alberta for unmarried couples

There are no laws governing the division of property for unmarried couples.  In general, jointly held assets are divided equally and property purchased during the relationship belongs to the person who can prove ownership.

It's recommended that unmarried couples not cohabitate until they have signed an agreement that sets out how property will be divided if they decide to separate. 

For more information about the division of property in Alberta and other legal services offered by Family Law lawyers at Sharek Logan & van Leenen LLP, please visit our Family Law FAQ page or contact us online.  You will quickly discover why any search for the best rated Family Law lawyers in Edmonton is not complete until you have spoken to us.

Yes, I have legal questions about Property Division and Family Law

Please complete the form below to submit your inquiry to our Family law professionals.  We will review your request and respond as soon as possible.  Thank you.

Please wait while we load the rest of the form.

Sharek Logan & van Leenen LLP Family Law Legal Team

Matthew Pagels, an affordable family lawyer listed in the Alberta lawyer directory who handles child custody law in Alberta, Alberta divorce law, division of property in Alberta and offers a free lawyer consultation.

Matthew Pagels


logo for Edmonton Food Bank

Help us feed the Edmonton Food Bank

Every month the Edmonton Food Bank:

  • serves over 20,000 individuals
  • provides food for nearly 500,000 meals
  • provides snacks through 250 agencies, schools, churches and food depots

They need our help.

More Information

Privacy Policy | The Fine Print
Website Design By:
edmonton website design - Selaris Web Media Inc.