Home | FAQS | Personal Injury Law FAQs

Answers to your questions about personal injury law

Is there a fee for an introductory consultation with a personal injury law lawyer at Sharek Logan & van Leenen LLP?

Your introductory consultation with a personal injury lawyer at Sharek Logan & van Leenen LLP is provided at no cost or obligation.

Are there any other up front legal fees if I choose to retain Sharek Logan & van Leenen LLP for my personal injury claim? 

No, there are no upfront legal fees if you choose to have us handle your personal injury case. 

Do you only handle large claims for personal injury damages?

Never assume your claim is too small to warrant hiring a personal injury lawyer.  You may not be aware of certain damages or you may be severely under estimating the impact an injury can have on your earning power and joy of life.  A personal injury lawyer at Sharek Logan & van Leenen LLP will know what medical professionals you need to see to fully document the nature of your injury, a key step in the preparation of your claim for compensation.  For example, if you suffered a whiplash injury, it is important to document the extent of the whiplash associated disorder (WAD), with WAD 1 being the least severe and WAD 4 being the most severe.

What kinds of personal injury claims can Sharek Logan & van Leenen LLP handle?

We can handle virtually any personal injury case.  Here is a list of some of the more common personal injury categories:

  • Accident benefits
  • Amputations
  • Animal & dog bites
  • Bicycle accidents
  • Brain injuries
  • Car accidents
  • Catastrophic injuries
  • Cartilage injuries
  • Disability benefits
  • Fatalities & Wrongful Death
  • Hit and Run
  • Long-Term Disability
  • Motor vehicle accidents
  • Neck, back and spinal cord injuries
  • Public Transportation Accidents
  • Slip & fall
  • Soft tissue
  • Whiplash associated disorder (WAD)
  • Work-related Injuries
  • Wrongful death

What should I do immediately after the accident?

Even if you don't have any obvious physical injuries, you should arrange to see your doctor as soon as possible to document your medical condition, which could change significantly in the days and weeks after your accident.  If you don't see a doctor, a lawyer could argue that your claim is false because a truly injured person would always opt to see a doctor.   

Should I call the police?

Yes, you should not leave the scene before calling the police and having them arrive to complete a police report, which can be very helpful because it documents key facts about the accident.  Moreover, since the police are not called to minor accidents, the absence of a police report could be used to argue that you were not involved in a major accident and any resulting injuries had to be minor, pre-existing or both.

When should I contact my insurance company?

In most cases, two insurance companies will be involved - your own insurance company and the insurance company for the person who inflicted your personal injury.   It's best if you speak to us before you speak to either insurance company.  You should most definitely not agree to speak to the insurance company representing the other party and you should not agree to sign any paperwork.

What benefits and compensation am I entitled to receive?

You are entitled to any accident benefits provided by your insurance company.  These benefits typically last for a few months, but your injuries may cause you pain and suffering and financial loss for many years and perhaps for the rest of your life.  To claim compensation for those damages, you need to sue the person who inflicted your injuries and in most cases that means you are actually suing his or her insurance company.

Is it true that damages for personal injury claims are capped?

No, there are many types of injuries that are not capped under the Alberta Minor injury regulation.

Who makes payment if I win my claim?

The insurance company representing the person who injured you makes payment.  They will fight very hard to deny or limit your claim and will apply significant resources to the obtainment of this goal up to and including having you followed by private investigators and hiring experts to dispute anything presented to prove your case.  Having a firm like Sharek Logan & van Leenen LLP representing you levels the playing field.    

When do I have to pay for legal services delivered by Sharek Logan & van Leenen LLP in support of my personal injury claim? 

After your claim is settled and compensation is awarded.

Yes, I have legal questions about Personal Injury Law

Please complete the form below to submit your inquiry to our Personal Injury law professionals.  We will review your request and respond as soon as possible.  You may also review our FAQs for quick answers to common questions on Personal Injury.  Thank you.

Please wait while we load the rest of the form.

logo for Edmonton Food Bank

Help us feed the Edmonton Food Bank

Every month the Edmonton Food Bank:

  • serves over 20,000 individuals
  • provides food for nearly 500,000 meals
  • provides snacks through 250 agencies, schools, churches and food depots

They need our help.

More Information

Privacy Policy | The Fine Print
Website Design By:
edmonton website design - Selaris Web Media Inc.