Genuino (Jim) Di Pinto, B.A. LL.B.
Jim has proven himself both a capable solicitor and an effective litigator over many years of practice in the Province of Alberta. Jim possesses a solid background in corporate finance, commercial law and many business-related areas of law as well as the litigation relating thereto. Jim has experience drafting many commercial contracts and agreements as well as court related pleadings and documents and has appeared in all levels of court throughout the Province of Alberta and the Federal Court of Canada. Jim is also a strong negotiator with a keen ability for analyzing difficult legal and business problems, and being able to develop effective, sometimes unconventional strategies, in order to solve them quickly and in a cost effective manner for the benefit of his clients.
Most importantly, Jim has gained valuable exposure and experience in providing advice to First Nations and their umbrella entities on most aspects of their wide range of businesses and interests, and litigation matters. These engagements with indigenous organizations are ongoing and include drafting of various agreements, dealing with health care related issues, development and implementation of employment policies and procedures, reviewing agreements and making recommendations on various business transactions and other matters. Jim is able to offer indigenous organizations many options to deal with their unique and challenging business issues tempered with the ability to communicate with them on a level respectful of their aboriginal culture. Jim has also been involved with various workplace investigations, providing representation at adjudications and preparation of formal reports to employers in relation to employment practices and policies, wrongful dismissal, discrimination and other employment and human rights issues.
Jim was personally involved in the ownership, management and ultimate sale of 2 major businesses, one was in the construction industry and the other was in the financial services industry. The construction business went public and the financial services business was purchased by a large corporation. Jim is able to use his entrepreneurial experience to help advise clients on legal matters relating to their businesses as well.
- Broad exposure to various corporate and commercial matters including corporate reorganization, banking and finance
- Providing prudent and effective recommendations and advice to clients on a wide range of business-related law matters including contracts, construction agreements, commercial agreements, security agreements, real estate, personal property security, builders' liens and heavy industrial equipment and enforcement of creditors rights in relation to the said areas, commercial leases and advising on resulting enforceability and priority issues among creditors.
- Experience in complicated debt recovery and debtor-creditor relationships in complexed matters involving multiple parties and cross-boarder court-related litigation, Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act, and general debt recovery and creditor rights at the retail and commercial levels. Provided advice for various collection agencies, corporations and financial institutions throughout Alberta.
- Developed an expertise in general civil litigation and in complexed court-related commercial and corporate realization matters, and more specifically, large receiverships and mortgage realization proceedings.
- Jim has a unique experience of being engaged by a court-appointed curator and liquidator to liquidate the assets and portfolio of a Canadian Schedule I chartered bank. Jim was responsible for recovery of bank loan accounts written in Northern Alberta and which required realization of property and assets located throughout Canada contained in a regional bank portfolio of approximately $250,000,000.00.
- Jim has provided advice and representation to a large heavy equipment supplier headquartered in Edmonton on a board range of issues related to a commercial equipment leases and developing effective strategies on all issues partnered to its business.
Community Service and Activities
- Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital Parent Advisory Council Chairperson. Jim was involved with a group of parents who advised the hospital board on the pediatric administration of the hospital in relation to policy issues with a focus on family-centered care
- Jim is a co-author on a manual on child abuse prevention which was written during his time in participation with a local public service group, Edmonton Police and the RCMP, and for that effort received, a public service award.
- Jim was born, raised and educated in Edmonton, Alberta, and comes from a construction family. Jim's wife is a high school language teacher and is fluently-multilingual. They have two daughters; one of whom is seriously disabled and epileptic, and Jim has gained tremendous experience advocating for persons with disabilities.
- Jim has been a member of 2 parish councils in Edmonton and is fluent in the Italian language.
- Glendale Golf and Country Club Member since 1988.
- Corporate and commercial law
- Commercial realizations and financial recovery law
- Construction and builders' lien law
- Insolvency and bankruptcy law
- Real estate and development law
- Employment law
- Civil litigation in relation to all of the above areas
- Law Society of Alberta, 1981 to present
- University of Alberta, LL.B., 1980
- University of Alberta, B.A. with Distinction, 1977