Legal Assistant / Paralegal
We have an immediate opening for a Legal Assistant/Paralegal.
The primary functions of this position include the following:
- Daily dicta-typing, drafting and revising of various correspondence including service of document letters, letters to process servers, letters to newspapers for service by publication, proof of claim forms, letters reporting to client;
- Drafting and filing of court documents including applications and affidavits;
- Scheduling appointments, court reporters, examinations for discovery, and court dates, as well as booking of travel arrangements when required;
- Managing deadlines by appropriate diarizing, tracking and pulling files for review to ensure limitation dates are recorded, tracking dates for Litigation Plan updates, and assistance in maintaining case management and client reporting binders/files;
- Photocopying, filing, maintenance of precedents, opening and closing of files;
- Time entry, request for cheques, production and revisions to pre-bills and send out client accounts and follow up on past due accounts.
- Litigation support on assigned files, including:
- Review clients' record production, and draft Affidavits of Records;
- Review opposing parties record production, and obtain copies where necessary;
- Obtain copies of exhibits listed in transcripts;
- Review Case Management memoranda, track deadlines;
- When appropriate, deal with clients and opposing counsel;
- Working knowledge of or proficiency with PCLaw and iPro Eclipse is
desirable, but not required;
The successful candidate must be punctual and have exceptional interpersonal skills with a professional mature work ethic, be highly organized, focused and attentive to detail. Typing speed, accuracy and word processing skills are also a must.